Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Order & Chaos: Duels

A fun, richly-illustrated Magic-style card game that taints itself completely with the freemium model.

Or at least that's my proposed tagline for the game.

Freemium works for both parties sometimes (see: League of Legends). But it doesn't usually work on iPhone. I don't know why exactly, but it probably has something to do with greed and hasty development standards.

Gameplay-wise, Order & Chaos: Duels is more or less what you'd expect from a trading card game. You battle, collect new cards, adjust your deck, and battle some more. Nothing about the game is too groundbreaking, but I had a lot of fun with it: the controls aren't clunky; the gameplay is strategic, but not taxing; the cards are nicely illustrated and even have some neat animations (waving particles, moving water, etc.). The quality of this game genuinely impressed me for the most part. Yes, the story is almost nonexistent, the dialogue is pretty awful at times, and nothing about the game is especially innovative (unless you consider that it's maybe the first good card game of its type to hit the App Store). But I expected those shortcomings. And I'm okay with them. If I have fun.

That's where I get frustrated. Order & Chaos is an enjoyable game--until you've made it ten or so battles into the campaign and realize it's near impossible to advance without making some ridiculous in-app purchase to bulk up on cards. I use the word "ridiculous" not because they're particularly expensive in-app purchases, but because I have no idea how many times I'll have to repeat the process. It is true that restarting the campaign with a different character, or grinding for who knows how long might eventually allow me to defeat this Elven Archpriest who continually pounds my Rouge back down into her own deck. But can I really be expected to?

I'm not saying don't try this game. Just know that you'll be dealing from the deck of evil. Winston Churchill said something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment